THE XML SPECIFICATION GUIDE
Errata for Chapter 3, Part 1
- Page 40, Section 3.3.2, three entity declarations at start of section:
- The three declarations, for
part2, are all missing the
% character that should
appear in front of the entity name. The correct declarations should look like:
<!ENTITY % part0
"<!ELEMENT grumpy ANY>"
and so on.
However, there is a more fundamental error in this description/explanation -- items
1 and 2 in this section are in error. The error, and a correct explanation, are found
in the next errata item:
- Page 40, Section 3.3.2, description of parameter entity replacement
(items 1 and 2):
- The description in the text is incorrect. In fact, no whitespace is
added around a parameter entity when it is itself inside a parameter entity.
Thus, given the following example:
<!ENTITY % part0 "<!ELEMENT g ANY>" >
<!ENTITY % part1 "%part0;<!ELEMENT s ANY>" >
<!ENTITY % part2 "%part1;<!ELEMENT o ANY>" >
<!ELEMENT Fo ANY>%part2;<!ELEMENT Bo ANY>
then the replacement text for
%part2; will yield:
<!ELEMENT Fo ANY> <!ELEMENT g ANY><!ELEMENT s ANY><!ELEMENT o ANY> <!ELEMENT Bo ANY>
where whitespace is added only around
%part2, and only because it is not
itself inside another PE (parameter entity).
This error is also found, using somewhat different wording, on page 243, and 247.
- Page 43, first line, error in markup (missing quote)
- The first line is missing a closing quote for the value of the
attribute. The corrected line should read (correction in red)
< menu tasty="&misused;">